Wednesday 24 March 2010

An agonising decision....

No crafting post today... just a grumble.

Things at work have progressed... maybe in a different way to what I expected.... Currently I am a team leader of a team of debt collectors - have 11 staff.... and due to a restructure in our organisation, the current 10 team leaders had to apply for 8 new positions..... So went through the process... CV completed, application sent off, interview held.... then on Friday afternoon I got a call to ask me if I would consider a different role - as an advisor for Community Relationship team as the manager felt I was not "resilient" and she had some concerns around my health and stress levels...oh and the Team Leader job is still on the table.... so all weekend I stewed on this.... talked to my current acting manager and the new one... who felt I was not emotional resilient, had issues with my communication skills, and would generally have to make major changes to my leaderships skills if I wanted to continue in the role.... not once in the past 8 years has any of this been mentioned to me... quite a kick in the guts... Any way to cut a long story short... I was not prepared to change the way I lead majorly,so I did some gut wrenching, soul searching and took the advisor role.... only to find out about an hour or so later that I did extremely well in the interview and the panel ( which did not include either of my managers) thought I had good vision for the new directions of the organisation and articulated myself well....  Monday I was totally gutted... but now realise that moving forward a change might just be what I need.  The stress of not having staff control will be good for my health, and as it is a big year with our European trip and our daughter's Wedding, it will be great not to have to worry about work.  As one door closes another one opens..... I know I made the right decision for me now....

thanks to all of you who have decided to continue reading this whingy post... but I feel better getting it off my chest.....

Onwards and upwards.....

9 comments:

donna mikasa said...

So glad you could vent and I feel that you made the right decision, too! Change is good, and we can all do with less stress! Big hugs and good luck, Dawn....

Monika Reeck said...

Big Hug from me Dawn and I agree with Donna Change is sometimes Good...always here your Blog Friend :) love, Monika

Suzanne C said...

Glad that the stress of the re-structuring is off your plate and you can start to move forward. Change is good and it sounds like you made a good choice.

Lin said...

Change IS good, who knows where this may lead? Glad that the decision has been made, now you can relax! (and make more cards :)

Pajalu said...

Hi Dawn, a good whinge every now & then doesn't hurt & is even good for the soul I say :D. Look at this as an oppertunity to do something new & exciting. I have always believed that "Things happen for a reason" even if at the time we don't know why. It also sounds like your managers where feeling a little threatened by you? Don't let them get to you. Sending extra big hugs xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Virginia L. said...

Thanks for sharing this with us here! It's hard (or shall we say, impossible) to forsee what's ahead. You just have to go with your gut feelings and do the best you can. Looks to me you are doing just THAT! You go, girl!!! xoxo

Tiffany Ervin said...

Aww...it's ok and GOOD to grunt and get it out!! So glad you did!! Hope this will indeed let you relax a bit for the wedding and the trip!! Hugs!

Nancy said...

Sometimes the perfect job finds you, but you have to let go of the former to find it. I'm so glad that you have a peace about your future and I'm sending prayers for an easy transition.
Blessings,
nancy

Anne said...

Hi, Dawn! Wow! What a roller coaster ride! I think I would have been so angry to have to reapply for a job I already had ... I don't think I would have done well at all. I'm glad that in the end you got positive feedback and that you will have a job that suits your current needs. Sounds like you followed your heart and I wish you all the best in your new role! :-)